Summer School on Sexual Orientation Law
Whittier Law School (Los Angeles), in collaboration with the Williams Institute of UCLA Law School, is once again organising the only summer school in the world devoted to sexual orientation law. The program will take place at the Universitat de Barcelona. The curriculum will have a focus on international and comparative law. Eight courses will be taught by American and European scholars, practitioners and policy makers. Students would typically follow three of these courses.
Non-USA students can choose to enrol for all four weeks of the program, or to do only the first or second half of the program. For a limited number of non-USA students, a sharply reduced fee of USD 1000 applies (for the complete program or for one half of it; this does not include housing, insurance, etc., nor the application fee of USD 100).
Application Deadline: 1 March 2012. Applications received after this date will be considered only if space is available.
Students coming for the first two weeks could follow for example:
- first half of the course Legal Recognition of Same-Sex Relationships Around the World (taught by Evan Wolfson, www.freedomtomarry.org/pages/staff)
- first half of the course Same-Sex Couples: Partnering and Parenting (focussing on legal issues facing LGBT parents in the USA, taught by Jenny Pizer, http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/staff-visiting-scholars/)
Students coming for the last two weeks of the program could for example follow:
- AIDS Crisis & International Law (taught by John Heilman, www.law.whittier.edu/index/meet-the-faculty/profile/john-heilman)
- second half of the course Legal Recognition of Same-Sex Relationships Around the World (taught by Brad Sears, http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/staff-visiting-scholars/)
- second half of the course Same-Sex Couples: Partnering and Parenting (focussing on the status of same-sex partners in international law, taught by Kees Waaldijk, www.law.leidenuniv.nl/waaldijk)
The other (four-week) courses in this program are:
- Transgender Law (by Shannon Minter, www.nclrights.org/site/PageServer?pagename=About_Staff_ShannonMinter)
- Comparative Legal Systems: Law & Sexuality (by Seval Yildirim, www.law.whittier.edu/index/meet-the-faculty/profile/seval-yildirim)
- Community Property (by Calvin D. Peeler, www.law.whittier.edu/index/directory/profile/calvin-d.-peeler)
- Sexuality, Gender & Displacement (by Stewart Chang, www.law.whittier.edu/index/meet-the-faculty/profile/stewart-chang)
- Spanish Law & the LGBT Community (by Monica Navarro, www.ub.edu/dikasteia/Qui%20(navarro).html).
More detailed information about this unique summer school is available at www.law.whittier.edu/index/centers-programs/study-abroad/barcelona-spain.