Hate crime & hate speech
In this section you can read about how ILGA-Europe works to fight hate crime and hate speech, define the issues and you can find ressources and links to relevant websites.
What is hate crime and hate speech against LGBTI people?
Hate crime is a term used to define aggression and violence targeting people because of their actual and perceived belonging to a particular group. Hate speech is public expressions which spread, incite, promote or justify hatred, discrimination or hostility towards a specific group. LGBTI-phobic hate crime and hate speech is violence and speech and/or aggression towards LGBTI people due to their actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity and/or gender expression. You can read more here about the definition on hate crime and hate speech.
ILGA-Europe usually refers LGBTI-phobic hate crime as bias motivated violence and hate speech as bias motivated speech as it is a more precise definition as it underlines the bias as the main reason for the violence or speech.
Why is it a problem?
Any hate crime or hate speech aim to undermine and diminish the very dignity and value of a human being belonging to a particular social group, and to cause this person suffering and damage. On a wider scale, hate crime and hate speech is an extreme expression of a belief/conviction and their perpetrators send a message to the entire LGBTI communities, their supporters and rest of the society that this particular social group does not deserve recognition, respect, equality and it is legitimate to attack members of this group. LGBTI-phobic hate crime and hate speech not only cause psychological and physical damages to the victims but also contribute towards larger scale societal hatred and violence against the entire LGBTI community.
How is ILGA-Europe working with the issue?
ILGA-Europe’s long-term goals is to…
- secure effective protection at European level through law and public policies against hate crime and hate speech targeting LGBTI people.
- ensure the existence of effective mechanisms to prevent or to respond to hate crime and hate speech targeting LGBTI people.
In order to reach the long-term goals, we are aiming to…
- increase the protection against hate crime and hate speech targeting LGBTI people at the European level through evidence-based advocacy for legislative and non-legislative actions
- increase the capacity of LGBTI organisations and other NGOs to collect and report data; while advocating for public authorities and European institutions to properly monitor all forms of hate crime and hate speech
- raise awareness about hate crime and hate speech targeting LGBTI people amongst European and national authorities, promoting comprehensive responses including both legislative initiatives and non-legislative actions to be undertaken by all relevant public services
- improve the capacity of law-enforcement bodies and the judicial system to adequately address bias-motivated violence and hate speech targeting LGBTI people particularly through exchange of knowledge and good practices among European and national actors
ILGA-Europe’s work on LGBT-phobic hate crime and hate speech is identified as a priority issue for in the Strategic Objectives 2011-2013.
For more information, contact Joël Le Déroff, Senior Policy & Programmes Officer, email@example.com
Find here information about projects on hate crime and hate speech.
Reporting and monitoring are crucial to raise awareness within national and European institutions, among law enforcement officers and the public. Hence, developing a reporting and monitoring strategy is a prerequisite for an efficient advocacy to call on policy makers to adopt laws and implement policies against violence.
Find in this section resources related to hate crime and information on ILGA-Europe's advocacy work at the OSCE - Organization for Security and Co-orperation in Europe.
Read in this section how ILGA-Europe understands and define hate crime and related terms...
Read in this section how ILGA-Europe understands and define hate speech and related terms...
Find here publications and other resources by ILGA-Europe on hate crime and hate speech.
In this section, we are gathering resources on the hate crime ane hate speech.