1st Conference Mailing
Dear friends and members,
As the summer sun reaches Brussels and our work for LGBTI equality in 2015 has reached its halfway point, it seems like the perfect time to send our first Annual Conference mailing of the year. ILGA-Europe are delighted to invite you to the 19th Annual Conference in Athens from 28 – 31 October 2015 to explore the theme “Many voices, One movement: Together, mobilised for a just society”.
We are immensely grateful to our 2015 conference hosts, OLKE and a large coalition of Greek organisations. Since 2004, OLKE have worked to combat discrimination and promote the rights of LGBTI people in Greece; aims which perfectly mirror the equality goals of ILGA-Europe.
Register now! The Registration Form is now online. The deadline for registration is Monday, 31 August 2015.
The ILGA-Europe 2014 conference dealt with the question of how to lead sustainable change for our communities, under the theme ‘MOVEment: leading sustainable change’. The event generated some great discussions and we concluded that, for better or worse, the LGBTI cause has unintentionally become a symbol for representing the kind of society we all want to live in. This fact has reconfirmed our belief that sustainable change can only be achieved by tackling hierarchies and asymmetries within our own movement. We must become the frontrunners in a much broader social justice movement.
This year in Athens, we will unpack the concept of mobilisation, from including our own communities in our advocacy work to changing public attitudes and involving our allies effectively. We want to explore what the key conditions are for effective engagement. We will be looking at what mobilisation means in different contexts and strengthen our movement’s ability to lead this work. This will lead us to reconsider some of our traditional methods of work, to give a critical look at the messages and narratives we use, to look into new strategies and update our “activist toolbox”.
To address this theme, we have already confirmed a number of fantastic speakers. At this stage we are excited to present you already three confirmed keynote speakers: Thorbjørn Jagland, Council of Europe Secretary General; Jessica Stern, Executive Director of IGLHRC; Geeta Misra, Executive Director of CREA. Following last year’s success, Miguel Vale de Almeida (anthropologist, professor at the University Institute of Lisbon, and LGBTI activist) has again agreed to be our conference host.
This first official mailing includes the following documents:
- Welcome letter from Local Host
- Nomination form for candidates for the ILGA-Europe Executive Board
- Endorsement of nominations for ILGA-Europe Executive Board
- Delegation and proxy form
- Guidance for the nomination of ILGA-Europe Executive Board members
- Guidelines to submit Proposals or Resolutions to ILGA-Europe constitution or standing orders
- Guidelines for organisations wishing to host ILGA-Europe Annual Conference 2017
The calendar of mailings and other important dates is as follows:
- 1 July 2015 – First Mailing
- 5 August 2015– Deadline for submission of proposals
- 26 August 2015 – Second Mailing
- 31 August 2015 – Deadline for registration of conference participants
- 16 September 2015 – Deadline for nominations of candidates for the ILGA-Europe Executive Board, for amendments to proposals, for submission of proposals to host the 2017 conference
- 5 October 2015 – Third Mailing
Finally, may we kindly remind you of the opportunity to help us build a truly diverse conference this year by making a contribution to our Diversity Fund? Please make a small donation today and help more people come to join us in Athens.
We look forward to meeting you in Athens, and hope to see you in great numbers.
Joyce Hamilton and Paulo Côrte-Real