Important votes by the European Parliament 2009-2014
Find here links to important resolutions, reports and other votings of the European Parliament 2009-2014 which are relevant to the rights of LGBTI people.
Fundamental rights in the EU
- Report on fundamental rights in the EU, including LGBT rights, Monika Flašíková Beňová (rapporteur), 12 December 2012. Find voting list here.
- Resolution on homophobia in Europe, 24 May 2012. Find voting list here.
- Resolution on the revised Hungarian constitution, 5 July 2011.
- Resolution on Lithuania’s homophobic draft laws, 19 January 2011
Human rights in the world
- Report on Human rights in the world 2013, Eduard Kukan (rapporteur), 11 December 2013. Find voting list here.
- European Parliament on the EU-ACP partnership with reservations about human rights in relation to sexual orientation, 13 June 2013
- Resolution in order to condemn Russia’s federal censorship law, 12 June 2013
- Resolution on the negotiations of the new EU-Russia Agreement, 13 December 2012. Find voting list here.
- Resolution on the situation in Ukraine, 13 December 2012. Find voting list here
- Report on Human rights in the world with a focus on sexual orientation and gender identity, Leonidas Donskis (rapporteur), 13 December 2012. Find voting list here.
- Resolution on violence against lesbian women and the rights of LGBTI people in Africa, 5 July 2012. Find voting list here.
- Recommendation to EU Council on the future EU human rights ambassador, 31 May 2012
- Resolution on the Annual Report on Human Rights in the World, 18 April 2012. Find voting list here.
- Resolution on the situation in Nigeria, 15 March 2012
- Resolution on the upcoming presidential election in Russia, 16 February 2012
- Resolution on joining a UN call for safeguarding the human rights of LGBT people in the world, 28 September 2011. Find voting list here.
- Resolution on Russia in regards to the sixth consecutive year ban of pride events in Moscow, and reminds Russia of its obligations under the European Convention on Human Rights, 9 June 2011. Find voting list here.
- Resolutions on EU relations with Iran, and EU action at the United Nations’ Human Rights Council, 10 March 2011. Find voting list here.
- Resolution following the death of Ugandan activist David Kato, 17 February 2011. Find voting list here.
- Annual report on human rights in the world (with a particular emphasis on human rights violations on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity), 16 December 2010. Find voting list here.
- Response statement on commitment to respectful relationship with ACP countries, including human rights, 28 September 2010
- Resolution on denouncing Uganda’s Anti-Homosexuality Bill, 17 December 2009 (find voting list here), and an urgency resolution on the same topic, 17 December 2010
EU Enlargement – reports from 2013
Each year the European Parliament reviews accession process. The European Parliament adopted resolutions on the 2012 Progress Reports from the European Commission:
- Albania, 13 December 2012
- Bosnia and Herzegovina, 6 February 2014
- Croatia, 18 April 2013
- FYR Macedonia, 6 February 2014
- Kosovo, 16 January 2014
- Montenegro, 6 February 2014
- Serbia, 16 January 2014
- Turkey, 18 April 2013
Structural funds and financial support
- Adoption of EU financial package on rights and equality for 2014-2020, Kinga Göncz (rapporteur), 10 December 2013. Find voting list here.
- Resolution on EU fund for employment and social inclusion to combat discrimination, Elisabeth Morin-Chartier (rapporteur), 20 November 2013. Find voting list here.
- Resolution on the Multi-annual programme 2010-2014 regarding the area of freedom, security and justice, known as the Stockholm Programme, 25 November 2009. Find voting list here.
Freedom of movement and Family
- Vote on Matrimonial property regimes (563 v. 21 votes - find voting list here) and partnerships (538 v 34 votes - find voting list here), Alexandra Thein (rapporteur), 10 September 2013
- Resolution on the EU Citizenship Report 2010: Dismantling the obstacles to EU citizens' rights, 29 March 2012. Find voting list here.
- Resolution on jurisdiction, applicable law, recognition and enforcement of decisions and authentic instruments in matters of succession and the creation of a European Certificate of Succession, 13 March 2012. Find voting list here.
- Report on civil, commercial, family and private international law (strongly supports plans to enable the mutual recognition of the effects of civil status documents, and stresses the need to ensure mutual recognition), Luigi Berlinguer (rapporteur), 24 September 2010
- Report on EU Roadmap against homophobia and discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity, Ulrike Lunacek (rapporteur), 4 February 2014. Find voting list here
- Report on the principle of equal treatment between men and women in the access to and supply of goods and services, Zita Gurmai (rapporteur), 25 February 2013.
- Resolution on equality between women and men in the European Union – 2011, 13 March 2012. Find voting list here.
- Resolution against homophobia (430 v 105), 24 May 2012
- Resolution on urging the Council of the European Union to adopt the horizontal anti-discrimination directive, 26 October 2011.
- Report on equality between women and men in the European Union, (the European Parliament said the situation of lesbian and bisexual women, as well as that of transgender people, deserves specific attention), 8 March 2011
- Report evaluating the European Union’s 2006-2010 Roadmap for equality between women and men (calls for more explicit measures to combat discrimination based on gender identity), Ilda Figueiredo (rapporteur), 17 June 2010. Find voting list here.
Hate speech and hate crime
- Resolution on homophobic crime and speech in the EU, authored by 6 political groups, 14 March 2013
- Report on EU law to protect victims of crime due to sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, Teresa Jiménez-Becerril Barrio, Antonyia Parvanova (rapporteurs), 18 July 2012
- Adoption of the EU asylum directive, Jean Lambert (rapporteur), 27 November 2011. Find voting list here.
- European Parliament position on Procedure Directive, Sylvie Guillaume (rapporteur), 6 April 2011 (314 v 306). Find voting list here.
- Rapport on Sexual and reproductive health and rights, Edite Estrela (rapporteur), 10 December 2013 (334 v. 327). Find voting list here.
- Resolution on calling WHO to stop considering trans people as mentally ill, 28 September 2011.