Vision, mission, core values
ILGA-Europe’s vision is of a world where the human rights of all are respected and where LGBTI people can live in freedom and equality, regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity and/or gender expression and sex characteristics.
ILGA-Europe’s mission is:
- To act as a European voice for the rights of those who face discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientations, gender identity and/or gender expression and sex characteristics.
- To achieve equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex people and to ensure protection from human rights violations, discrimination and violence based on sexual orientation, gender identity and/or gender expression and sex characteristics in Europe and Central Asia by instigating legal, political, institutional and social change.
- To empower LGBTI organisations and their allies to advocate for effective enjoyment of human rights by everyone irrespective of their sexual orientations, gender identity and or gender expression or sex characteristics and to advocate for full LGBTI equality and inclusion in society.
The core values of ILGA-Europe are:
- The embodiment and active promotion of the diversity among LGBTI people within the LGBTI movement and within society in general.
- Respect for and recognition of human rights, which are indivisible and universal, and which include cultural, social, economic, civil and political rights Our work has a particular emphasis on equality and freedom from discrimination, on gender equality and on the rights to self-determination.
- International solidarity with LGBTI people and with other discriminated groups of people, offering mutual support on combatting oppression and discrimination and in achieving for equality both within Europe and Central Asia, and in other regions of the world.
- The full democratic involvement of all our member organisations in the development of policies and transparency in accounting for actions taken.